Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Let This Be a Lesson To You

Last week I learned a lesson about bodies. It turns out my body’s “memory” is pretty short-term.

Having reached my two biking goals for the last three months (1) complete a century and (2) a sub-30 minute lap of Hefner, I decided there was no time like now to start adding running/jogging back into the mix so as to prepare for the Tulsa Run 15k at the end of October.

Let me present my stupid heresy and then I will present the result…

Proposition (what was in my head): “I typically bike for an hour, I should be ok if I run for that long. Back in the marathon training I was doing that kind of distance just about every day.”

Result: Soreness from hell! I mean like “hurts to get out of a chair and walk” soreness. I haven’t felt that bad since the three days after the marathon. (Happily I am mostly over it now as I write this.)

I had always heard that cycling and running are utilizing different sets of muscles, but thought that was mostly hooey. However, after this weekend’s debacle I am a believer. An hour on the bike is nothing. An hour running after three months off? Well, let’s just say I paid for it big-time.

It kind of sucks to feel like I’m starting over with the running, but this might turn out to be a good opportunity to unlearn bad habits, learn faster paces, etc. Like Charlie I am looking forward to braving the cooler temperatures, and come December and January or so, seeing the crowds thin out in the mornings.

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

I could see where that was going with the the line "...I can ride for an hour..." I simply had to grit my teeth and read on. For sure your next run should be shorter, and have a gradual build up. Believe me, you do not want to acquire a running induced injury.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Yeah. Just a two-miler this morning. Feeling MUCH better.

I told you I learned my lesson!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home