Monday, July 20, 2009

Norman Conquest

Saturday’s long ride was a nice change of pace.

I was convinced by a friend at work to do The Norman Conquest- a benefit ride for the JD McCarthy Center- the longest distance being a 66 mile ride in and around Norman that claimed on the website to be “VERY hilly.”

They weren’t kidding. While, training-plan-wise, I wanted to get in a few more miles than 66 on Saturday, the elevation changes MORE than made up for it since I do not normally train on those kinds of grades. What a workout! A bunch of steep hills, and rolling country roads made for very interesting terrain. It’s interesting to do that kind of ride with other people. There isn’t a lot of talking. It’s kind of a ghostly quiet, the only sound you hear being a bunch of clicks as people shift at roughly the same time.

And as you probably know, the weather on Saturday morning was fantastic! Not hot, not windy. Unlike, I don’t know, the last three months?!

After averaging 2 mph better than I expected to, (long descents and being around other people certainly helps), I feel like the relatively flat 100 mile ride in three weeks shall be no problem.

Bring it on!

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

good ride Mike. I've always heard the Conquest was a hilly bitch. But a ride I've never ridden sadly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home