Friday, June 05, 2009

"Admit That the Waters Around You Have Grown"

I was at the grocery store the other day and heard the absolute classic (and still very much relevant) Bob Dylan song “The Times They Are A-Changin’.” It was shocking to hear a work of prophetic importance and depth in that context: strolling through the pasta isle.

Why is that, I wonder?

Grocery store music probably sounds a lot like it did twenty or thirty years ago. In fact, most of the stuff that serves as background music at Crest and Buy for Less, (my two primary haunts) was released in the late 70s or 80s. Interspersed among that faire might be a Backstreet Boys or Celine Dion ballad that takes me back to junior high bus rides.

I’m sure there have been all kinds of research studies performed to determine the exact types of musical elements that make people want to purchase more stuff. Apparently unobtrusive pop music performed well in those tests, for I hear an awful lot of comforting, numbing sounds whenever I’m buying food. (Strangely, though, the music that makes you want to buy food apparently is not the same kind that makes you want to buy pants. To buy pants in a department store, you need actual muzak versions of hits without vocals.)

But then there was Bob Dylan!

I like living in a world where I can be surprised like that.

1 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Cara said...

I love the DJ's at both Buy For Less and Crest. I'd say it is more 90's selection. Both allow for great dancing and lip syncing. Both of which I do while shopping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home