Monday, April 20, 2009

A Month of Sundays

I am a church-going, God-fearing guy. I am also walking around, looking at life through different eyes these days.

Here’s the deal. I have gone to the same church for something like 13-14 years now. In that time I have missed maybe a couple handfuls of Sunday mornings.

Obviously this means:
1) I enjoy this group of people, the things they talk about, the things they do and aspire to be.
2) I feel like they took me in as a friend during my darkest days.

(Both of the above are blessings that I dared not hope for.)

At the same time I feel like I have been living the same Sunday over and over and over and over and over: get up early for musical practice and play guitar.

I have decided to “shake up my life” a little bit for awhile by taking a sabbatical from church life as I know it.

I have decided to use this time off to also see how other people live their Sundays. Visit other churches. Perhaps go to the mall, a park, sleep-in. All options are available and I don’t even know how long I’m going to be gone. (Full disclosure: Yes, I’m also on the lookout for the future Mrs. Stutzman. Maybe she’s not in the place I’ve been looking for 1/7 of every week! :-))

If you have a church or other house of worship that you would like me to check out for you, please let me know. Think of it as Research into the family of God!

The sabbatical started yesterday morning as I slept in for the first Sunday in years. Yesterday was a beautiful, relaxed day of no responsibility short of meeting friends for talking about life.

4 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Cara said...

I am proud of you and think this is a great idea. I will skip church on your behalf and watch you and Jeffrey cross that finish line!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

I've been on a prolonged sabbatical for quite some time now. Usually I run on Sunday mornings. I find that I feel closer to God during a run through the woods by myself than sitting on a bench listening to someone tell me how to find Him. Explore my friend. Perhaps one of these Sundays we can meet for good conversation.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

It's good to shake things up.

Mayflower Congregational can be interesting.

Grocery shopping at 9AM Sunday morning is glorious.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

come to our church. PLEASE!!! i think you would find it very interesting-us crazy episcopalians!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home