Monday, April 06, 2009

The Red Bud Classic

Wind.

Ancient people called it “pneuma,” and equated it to this amorphous thing called “spirit.” What spirit does the wind really contain?

Well, over the last couple days of biking and jogging long distances, the wind has been whispering, no, it has been screaming “You Will Fail.” Biking into a head wind uphill is a peculiar exercise in futility that is simultaneously humorous and makes you want to cry. Ironically, a 40 mph gust of spirit-wind can pretty quickly kill your own spirit and suck away your initiative.

I did the red Bud 33 mile bike event on Saturday morning; my first time to do that long of a biking distance and I am happy to report that the wind did not get the better of me! Thankfully the bulk of the course is East-West and the wind on Saturday was coming from due south. I discovered that there is a big difference between an event like that and biking around Lake Hefner-—namely, other riders and HILLS. You have to be very intentional in gear selection on a longer course for the terrain includes inclines of all shapes and sizes. You never really notice incline here in Oklahoma when you are driving these roads in your car.

Fellow beginner Brandon and I felt like aliens in a spandex-clad world of “serious” cyclists. (Best moment for me—slowly pedaling my way up the largest, windy-est hill past people in spandex walking their bikes. I REFUSED to get off the bike. Also a great moment: well-earned pancakes at the finish line!)

To make this weekend absolutely brutal, I went ahead with marathon training plans the next day and continued with my longest run to date into the same spirit-killing wind!

Today shall be calm and restful. I think I earned it.

3 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

congradulations on a weekend of endurance endeavors. So have you decided to for sure do the full marathon in may?

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

wow! I am impressed.

I have to admit that the wind has kept me off the bike lately.

I remember when I started biking again a couple of years ago and being shocked at how hilly the world is!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Charlie-
I have decided to do the full marathon in May.

It is scary to type that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home