Wednesday, March 18, 2009

On Skiing- A Study of Ratios

I will start at the end. I had a spectacular crash while skiing at Monarch a few days ago.

While it wasn't one of those where they drag you behind a snowmobile in a body bag, and I was only on the bunny slope, I am currently laid up on the couch recovering. And the doc said I shall feel the pain from this for at least a couple weeks. Deep muscle bruising in my back and chest. Perhaps a rib was affected as well.

I tried skiing for the first time ever. It shall be the first and last time. I have given it the old college try, took a group lesson, gave it my best, and found that it is not for me.

The whole trip I was visited by thoughts of proportions, namely the ratio of Work:Fun.

Day one-Work:Fun ratio----95% work, 5% fun.

Day two-Work:Fun ratio----80% work, 20% fun. (Surprisingly, this was the day of my spill. I was going so fast and pretty much STRAIGHT down the slope and thought to myself "Wow. I'm going really fast down this hill. I wonder why I haven't crashed yet..." And then in an instant I was laid out in the snow with skis ten feet downhill and poles ten feet uphill. Important side note: I never did learn how to turn right in my two and a half days of attempts.)

Day three [not even a half day]-Work:Fun ratio----90% work, 10% fun. I hit a wall that morning, metaphorically speaking. In pain, contemplating taking the beginner lift all the way to the top rather than half way, I realized an important truth in my life at this point. I want to be able to run the 1/2 marathon in a month and perhaps the full marathon in May MUCH MUCH MUCH more than I want to be able to say that "I skied greens." From that point on, I was done.

5 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO WAY! I feel partially responsible for your wreck based off of our mountain injury conversation at breakfast the other day. I'm sorry if I jinxed you :(

Glad you're alive though! ;)

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

Mike,
sorry to hear about your crash. You should dress it up a little though, perhaps say "I accidentally made a wrong turn at the top of the bunny slope, which took me down a triple black diamond and ended in a glorious fury between man and mountain." Something like that. It is good you made the choice to run marathons instead of skiing green slopes. Recover well my friend, take every bit of time you need to get over your injuries and we'll get to running again in the near future.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Cara said...

Zoch work:fun ratio. 1% work: 99%fun.
Sorry we jinxed you with our ski stories. Seriously. PS, turning right was a struggle for me as well. Well, also just skiing without using the pizza slice was a struggle as well. Isn't it rude how Drew and Taylor are so good?

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Whitney said...

I have been on 3 ski trips and taken lessons twice. It's not for me either and I'm okay with that. My final trip was spent shopping and eating.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

so sorry about your crash! after you left our show last night, i asked rob where you went and he said your back hurt from you crash. i had no idea about your injury! you were too kind to come to our show even while in pain!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home