Tuesday, January 06, 2009

It Only Took a Couple Days...

...And at the start of the new year, every unemployed, uninsured, young mother-to-be who can barely gather together the mental faculties to take down a phone number is looking for a doctor who will basically see them for free.

While I don't blame these ladies for being uninsured, and don't fully blame them for even being unemployed, I do wish that they would wait before deciding to bring another human being into the wreck of their lives. Maybe wait until they are in their mid-twenties? Does Medicaid pay for birth control? Anyone know?

I hate to start the year with bitching. So, here's the alternative.

My new year's resolution is to buy some of those re-usable bags to use at the grocery store. This just seems too easy! Thanks, Steven, for the practical tip!

5 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

yeah, maybe something small like reusable bags can........ah heck, I don't know. They're actually just a lot better and more convenient than the plastic ones. No big karma earned here. They're awesome.

yeah, you must see a lot of health care on the front lines. Thank goodness they can get care, but man, I wish there was a better way.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Cara said...

if you go to garden ridge, the bags are really big and they're only a dollar!

medicaid does pay for birth control, but Planned Parenthood also supplies it as well as pregnancy tests and STD/HIV testing for free. spread the word!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

ok, this is totally unrelated, but after realizing you named your blog after what john wilkes booth shouted after he shot lincoln, i wonder how many anarchists come across your blog. :)

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Any anarchists who happen upon this blog would be pretty disappointed.

I hereby officially declare that violence solves nothing.

I'm going to try to explain the name a little better than I did the other night. Like Sarah Vowell, I find a sick kind of humor in John Wilkes Booth.

Something about an old-timey guy yelling in Latin as his final statement to the world is funny to me.

And in a way, I think blogs betray a similar thought: that "the world" will take my ramblings seriously. (And we always think THE WOLD is reading, right?

So, consider this blog MY insane statement before leaping off the balcony and onto the stage!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home