Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Things For Which I Am Thankful

*I am healthy, happy, more content than I’ve ever been in my life. And I don’t mean that in the “it’s-the-end-of-the-year-and-I-need-to-think-of-something-to-say-I’m-thankful-for” kind of way, but in a “I am a changed man” kind of way. I am a changed man. I know I look different, but that’s just the outward manifestation of something unbelievable that has happened to my mind and soul. I’m still not sure what has happened/is happening to me. I don’t know what to call it. I know that’s a little vague for my Christian friends, but in the way of explanations, it’s all I’ve got right now...

*I have tons of people in my life who want awesome things for me. I see and talk to and type to so many people who care about how life goes for me. This is not something I will ever overlook again.

*There are simple pleasures in life of which I am now aware: collapsing on a couch and engaging people in relaxed conversation about anything... a sunny day with no wind, a bike and a path around a lake... a cold, gray day with a cup of tea and a heating bill I can afford. There are tons of other ones that I could name but I have already devolved into sickening cheesiness as it is.

*Parents who care about me and who instilled into me values of right and wrong, somehow without coercion or the requisite guilt and shame I hear about so often. This was really a genius move on their part.

*Enough money to pay the bills and enough money to feed myself (and others)

*ALL KINDS of goals met

*Low blood sugars, astounded doctors

*Finally...public libraries

Here’s to life and the transformation of Mike into a Pollyanna!

Happy Thanksgiving, my lovelies!

4 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Cara said...

This is so great to read. We are so proud of you and love the culinary genius you are becoming! (And we are thankful for your friendship and your inspiring life.) :)

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger live compassionately said...

I am proud of you as well. A lot of awesome things have been happening for you and it's been so great to watch! I consider myself blessed to have you as a friend. :)

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

I just burst into a huge smile. Thanks for the spirit, Mike!

Do you like the movie, Groundhog Day? Your story makes me think of the part of the movie where Bill Murray gets it together and starts take advantage of his situation by learning to play the piano, etc.

A movie is just a reflection of the kind of experience you're describing!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

you're awesome. happy thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home