Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Whatcha' Readin'?

I just got done reading a wonderful book by Dave Eggers called What is the What.

Eggers is a marvelously skilled writer. The 500-plus pages of non-fussy literary art simply fly by. He tells the truthful story of Sudanese refugee Valentino Achak Deng in such a lovingly precise way. While Eggers is known for playful, postmodern turns in his previous books like A Heartbreaking work of Staggering Genius and You Shall Know Our Velocity, this novel treats a sobering story of a man and a country in crisis with the utmost respect and care. There is something really cool about a writer with mad technical skills practicing restraint—holding off on the metatextual machinations and florid passages of description to simply tell a story.

I would definitely recommend that you read this book, but only if you like books that are awesome.

3 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

I gotta check that one out! Will I be able to???? I hope so.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Yeah, the library has tons of copies.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think I need to read this book. By the way this is my blog I recently started blogging on again. By recent I mean an hour ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home