Sunday, February 22, 2009

Writing Like a Bastard

The Catcher in the Rye The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
So, there is an important decision we, as readers, have to make when reading this stream-of-consciousness screed against humanity. Namely, we have to decide how seriously we will take the seemingly endless complaining on the part of the narrator Holden Caulfield, as we do with any teenager in real life.



It is important how much or how little we let his observations on the "phoniness" of people into our heads. I would posit that the more thoughtfully you take his complaints, the more opportunity this book has to affect you as literary art. I would say the dangerous decision is just to say that the narrator is crazy and dispense with him from that point. Indeed that would make reading this book a waste of time.



But, what if Holden's right? What if the world really is full of phoniness? What if loss of innocence is something to bemoan? Well then, the idea of a foul-mouthed, alienated, know-it-all who yet defends the innocence of children and who values protecting their youthfulness...well that character becomes SO MUCH more poignant, so much more human in his duality, so much more interesting. Brokenness is always more interesting.



The other thing I liked about this book is Salinger's creation of a kid who "speaks" so interestingly. You want him to keep going just to hear what he'll say next.


View all my reviews.

3 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

Beautiful review! I need to re-read it.

have you read Franny and Zooey? oh man. One of those life-changers for me.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Nah. This is my first exposure to Salinger. Quite a few people whom I respect love the guy's writing, so I would like to eventually get to some of his other stuff at some point...

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

It's all good. Franny and Zooey, Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters, etc.

He's got that great quality, like Vonnegut, of being really great AND fairly easy to read. That's good for me! I like the emphasis on the dialogue. Pages of descriptive writings are difficult for me sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home