Friday, August 07, 2009

Never Let Me Go Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a stirring book of unaffected beauty. The prose style is not futzed over. It's simple. Deceptively so. And Ishiguro is able to evoke the thoughts of a woman looking back over her childhood and early adulthood very convincingly. Nice trick for a male writer.

The other nice trick he pulls off is setting a wistful, evolving love story against the strange backdrop of a school with an unusual, mostly unspoken secret drama. (And that's all I'll reveal...)

I was sad at the end, both for plot reasons, but also because I would have to begin the search for another good, highly readable book.

View all my reviews >>

2 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

how was the ride today?

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Mike said...

A little tougher than I expected. (full report to follow when I'm not so tired!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home