Thursday, August 06, 2009

I don't subscribe to Netflix, but...

Richard Corliss has written a curmudgeonly article in this week's Time called "Why Netflix Stinks" in which he bemoans the disappearance of his favorite corner video store called Kim's. I must say I was struck by the following observation:

Beyond the mail delays and the botched orders, the lack of human interaction is the big problem with Netflix and its cyber-ilk. Thanks to the Internet, we can now do nearly everything- working, shopping, movie-going, social networking, having sex- on one machine at home. We're becoming a society of shut-ins. We deprive ourselves of exercise, even if it's just a stroll around the mall, until we're the shape of those blobby people in WALL*E. and we deny ourselves the random epiphanies of human contact.

(While I agree with the thought and am determined to not become as insular as he suggests, I find it amusing that one of his main illustrations was from a movie!)

I don't want to be a shut-in! I want to LIVE life!

Stop reading this and go outside and INTERACT with someone right now!

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

Oh man, where to start commenting on this subject. Mike, we may have to actually meet face to face to discuss this! Over coffee? I'll IM you through my multi-use machine that I also watch movies on.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Mike said...

That's a good idea, Charlie.

However, I have decided to only communicate with people via fax machine from now on! :-P

Seriously, though. Let me know when you want to meet up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home