Monday, October 05, 2009

Change of Seasons and An Invitation to Witness Awe-Inspiring Glory (aka Mike finishing a race)

Well friends, the changing of the seasons is bringing with it a change in focus for yours truly. I was a biking nut for the whole summer. With the purchase of a new bike in June (and a little spandex…largely against my will) and lots and lots of training miles I now feel totally immersed in cycling culture. Riding a bike has become one of my favorite ways to pass time.

But the time has come to go back to the activity that largely turned the tide for me over two or three years of massive weight loss—running.

Running is an equally interesting thing to decide to do. One of the best shirts I saw in the marathon said: “My sport is your sport’s punishment.” Through the whole process of dropping the lbs I had a love/hate relationship with the mere word “running.” For, the pace at which I was tripping around the lake and park could more accurately be described as a “jog.” “Running” is for skinny, fast people.

Here’s something that has me excited, though.

Somehow over the summer I’ve become accustomed to a more aerobic (as opposed to a “fat-burning”) workout. Consequently, over the last month I have been running much faster than I ever have in my life! So, I transition into this time of the year with new hope. I will be smashing my previous times in the two events I have coming up: Race for the Cure 5K this Saturday 10/10 and the Tulsa Run 15K on 10/31. (By the way, I would love to see people I know at the finish of these. Anybody wanna “Save the Boobies” or take a road-trip to Tulsa?)

Progress is addictive.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

awesome!

I just ran today for the first time in a loooong time. I blame the wonderful fall weather. Sorry bike!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

Good luck this weekend in the 5k. Break 20 minutes.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Ummm....no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home