Sunday, July 20, 2008

...But Now My Life Has Changed in Oh So Many Ways

Today was a momentous day in the life of Mike as pertains goal-setting.

I weighed in today at exactly 200 lbs! I checked that scale a couple times to make sure it wasn't lying! This is momentous for a variety of reasons:

1) I have mentioned elsewhere on here that my life is now largely a numbers game due to the Diabetes thing. I have to (well, I don’t “have to…” I suppose I could do absolutely nothing different with my life if I felt so inclined…) keep track of glucose levels, carb intake and exercise times, etc. So here are some numbers. My goal was to get down to 220 lbs by December. When I hit that goal seven months early back in May I decided to keep going. Total weight loss since January—57 pounds.

2) This means that I have officially lost 115 lbs total since my heaviest days a few years ago. If I did the math right, this means I’ve lost 36.5 % of my body weight. Can that really be right? Here’s what I do know without a math formula: I never want to be that person ever again.

3) The last time I was at this weight I was getting my driver’s license in high school.

While losing all that weight took a dedicated effort over a long stretch of time, (I’m talking years), lots of stalled progress, a few setbacks, etc. I was very intentional in making lifestyle changes that were sustainable for a lifetime, trying not to get on too rigid of an exercise schedule or starving myself. However, I realize that there are still challenges ahead in maintaining at this level at worst and maybe even getting down to the ideal BMI weight of 179. (Life is never "ideal." I feel awesome right now so I’m not going to cry if I can’t lose any more. But there is a side to my personality that would love the tidiness of reaching that numerical definition of fitness.)

The so-what part of this post? If you are a reader who sees me in person on a somewhat regular basis, PLEASE HELP me stay accountable to this new me. I am officially giving you permission to pry if you see me packing on pounds again. Life is a funny thing: How do you add over a hundred pounds to your body without really even realizing it?

I am happier these days than I have been in many years. The above is a large reason for that.

Here’s to life renewed.

Thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Congrats to you!! That is awesome!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Cara said...

You did it!!! It's time for that party I promised!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

you should be very proud. you look awesome!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Josh McCullock Photography said...

well done man! I admire your discipline, thats an incredible accomplishment!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Carl Zoch said...

mike, you're my hero!

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Kelly Yates, PhD said...

You are my hero...even though Remy nips at your heels as we hike around the park, he thinks you're a hero too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home