Thursday, June 19, 2008

More Joni Mitchell

I have found that music helps.

Sometimes you need to be reminded.

I’m not much of a lyrics guy when it comes to listening to music but there is something to finding out through a songwriter’s lyrics that they had some of the same feelings or thoughts or vague impressions of the world as you have had. It’s encouraging to know that floating out in the void is someone else who felt the same way.

On Steven’s recommendation I listened to Joni Mitchell’s album Court and Spark. And I was struck by the confessional lyrics on a few of the tunes. She captures insecurity and loneliness very well--so personally, yet so artfully at the same time. Get a load of the words to these songs in particular:

The Same Situation
People’s Parties
Car on a Hill
Help Me

So, for once I can say "I get it." I know why people love her.
Thanks for the tip, Steven. I’ll be listening to some more of her stuff…

1 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Steven Stark said...

"so personally, yet so artfully"

That's the key isn't it? How does she do it?

Maybe she's more truthful than most. Many songwriters, who spill their diaries out in song, always spin it a certain way. She lays it out - very personally in the facts, but universal in the feelings.

Isn't it great when something kind of sad can make you happier?

And the music is something else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home