Sunday, February 10, 2008

Whatcha’ Listenin’ To? (Special Ryan Adams Edition)

I have found in the past that trying to turn people on to your favorite music is a tricky prospect. We all have probably a couple handfuls of things we are listening for in new music with varying amounts of importance placed on each element. For instance, I’m not really a lyrics guy, nor do I care for extended drum solos or vocal gymnastics. On the positive side I like long melodies accompanied by out-of-the-norm harmonies if possible. I’m definitely not afraid of instrumental music either. All that to say I don’t have much confidence that anyone hears things the same way I do nor do I hear the same things as others. (Not to mention when you make a mix CD for someone who happens to be a girl and they automatically assume you are trying to speak to them in musical-lyrical code. Imagine the irrelevance of saying “No, really, I just like the guitar tone on this song!”)

At the same time, it’s also tricky to let other people try to turn you on to new music for the utter heartbreak that’s sure to ensue if you don’t “get” what the other person is hearing that’s so remarkable. How do you tell someone that something that they are excited about doesn’t really do anything for you?

But, alas, this is the messiness of being human with other humans around.

I’m glad to report that I’ve been listening to the following Ryan Adams albums on a friend’s recommendation and I have liked them A LOT: Heartbreaker, Rock n’ Roll, and Love is Hell Vol.1 and 2.

Just with these four albums I heard several different versions of Ryan Adams- acoustic troubadour, snide rocker, purveyor of lush orchestrated rock, alt-country confessor. And I liked all of them. I expected to hear just a guy and a guitar because that’s what a lot of folks my age are into. Imagine my surprise when I heard electric guitars and pianos and synths and altered harmonies. The shock! I think the big surprise was how produced these albums were, with lots of little details that you only pick up after hearing the songs a few times.

This guy is going to ruin my music budget for the year. When I buy these albums, maybe I’ll go into a little more depth.

Thanks, Jason, for the tip.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Josh McCullock Photography said...

Ryan Adams is indeed a treasure! Infact, I think I'll spin some up now.

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a "grower" for me, too.

I have an odd relationship with him. When Ryan Adams is brought up, my immediate response is "I'm not really a fan. He's ok, I guess, but not my cup of tea."

But then, I always listen to his stuff. I don't know why that is.
I love his voice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home