Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Rare Photo



Regularly being around a couple mongo talented photographers (I'm looking at you, Josh and Carl), has me stopping to look at photographs a second longer whenever I'm reading something.

This week's issue of Time had the above photograph and I was blown away by it, which rarely happens. I'm not really a visual-type person.

But this particular photo by Greg MIller left me a little breathless from it's weighty simplicity. There are SO MANY things that this photo could be saying.

I thought of simple dreams: "Oh, if only we could afford a new washing machine of our own."
I thought of a military marriage, (the caption said the couple is engaged), and how hard that would be, especially these days.
I thought of the simple act of physical touch, her laying her head on his shoulder and how it can speak volumes.
I thought of the strange angle from which this shot was taken. The light streaming from the closed store and the frayed overhang-- troubled promises of consumerism, (especially with the latest news about the U.S. economy...)

What a fantastic photo! Now I know why you guys do what you do.

6 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Josh McCullock Photography said...

wow, that is an awesome image.
sometimes I get tired of shooting, but all it takes is one image that tells a whole story to re-inspire me.

I will file this one away for later inspiration!
thanks Mike.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that picture could easily be passed over. But then you spend a few seconds looking and the different possible meanings begin to wash over you.

heartbreaking, hopeful, beautiful. Joy and sadness at the same time, which is, to me, the closest feeling I ever get to something really transcendent.

Honk Honk!
(trying to relieve the solemnity)

Thanks for sharing the photo, Mike!

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, I checked out Josh and Carl's blog sites and was extremely impressed!

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's what I like "most" about the picture, but I like the wet looking sidewalk.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I would be remiss in not directing you to Mr. Miller's website for his portfolio:

http://www.gregmiller.com/portfolio.cfm

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

what struck me for some reason was that maybe he was getting ready to leave for iraq or somewhere and they were looking at a washing machine she would be using by herself until he got back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home