Sunday, February 03, 2008

Josh Lester playing Elgar on the cello!

It was like butta.

I have a young cello-playing friend named Josh Lester. Earlier today I witnessed the culmination of his musical career up to this point--playing the first movement of the Elgar Cello Concerto with the Oklahoma Youth Orchestra. That is one gorgeous piece and my young friend nailed the performance with a musicality and lyricism that extends beyond his years.

Josh, if you are reading this, you SANG through that instrument today! I watched in amusement as the whole row in front of me looked at each other in disbelief when you played that line that first extends into the upper upper range.

So proud.

3 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

Oh man, I wish I could have heard that. I bet it was awesome.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my favorite cello concerto. It reflects the deep sadness and disturbance the composer felt after World War 1. and a lot of other stuff, I'm sure.

Good for Josh Lester!

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger J said...

I really appreciate it, Mike. I'm so glad you were there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home