Monday, January 28, 2008

Whatcha Listenin' To?

Boston Boston

By many objective standards: album sales, ubiquity on radio, name-recognition, etc. this is a near perfect album. Every single song on this album is a staple of classic rock radio. And what’s most amazing is the fact this absolute “classic” is largely the result of the input of two guys-Tom Scholz’s engineering and Brad Delp’s transcendent vocals. There is just a Boston “sound,” that to me is similar in conception to that of Queen: take your vocals and guitars and layer them ad nauseum and then layer them some more for good measure. It’s a very warm, full sound that I gotta admit- still gets me. I’m a sucker for memorable melodies and this album delivers the goods. Also, I like the idea of an over-educated mad scientist nobody tinkering anonymously in his basement to create a grand masterpiece. Not that this album itself is all that ambitious or epic. It’s really just a bunch of individual songs, (with the exception of the pairing of “Foreplay/Long Time”), polished to a sheen. Its status as “masterpiece” would come later. I really don’t know why this isn’t on that Rolling Stone Top 100 List.

The Kinks The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

I dare you to try to get the title track out of your head after hearing it! I’ve said before, I’m listening to a lot of classics lately from a pretty tight time period- 1966 to around 1974 or so. This album is full of brit-pop that reminds me of the Zombies’ Odessey & Oracle, but it takes a little bit more time for the melodies to sink in. Lyrically they are looking back at simpler times and places, which is a genius move. If you want the message of your music to remain timeless, simply look back on the past fondly. That will always be an appropriate sentiment for the majority of people!

Mahavishnu Orchestra with John Mclaughlin The Inner Mounting Flame

Hearing this album for the first time I am realizing a choice I unconsciously made about twelve years ago when pursuing musical aesthetics. When I chose to immerse myself in the 70s prog-rock of bands like Yes, Genesis and King Crimson, I excluded a whole other world of similar music: jazz-rock fusion. On one hand, the sounds on this album are VERY familiar to me—distorted guitars, weird harmonies, even weirder time signatures and no vocals. But I wonder if these two schools of musicians hated each other for their differences. They seem to be worshipping two different gods, both of which demanding technique from their followers. But the prog version of “difficult” music seems to be in service of some grand, universal message that they may or may not be communicating whereas the fusion version of “difficulty” seems to be more clinical here. Like I’ve said elsewhere, it’s the difference between rock slobs being ambitious and jazz intellectuals “slumming it.”

And this album’s liner notes and artwork seem to want to ascribe some sort of spiritual component that I just don’t hear. Which is not to say I don’t like this music. I really do. There is a hard-edged angularity to the sounds that can only come from musicians who know what they are doing yet are still playing their amps loudly! And I’m a guy who likes a musical puzzle every now and then. I came very close to getting in a car wreck trying to figure out what time signature one of the songs was in. (I never did.) I can’t wait to hear the other fusion from the era- Weather Report and Return to Forever being at the top of the list, but who knows who else I will discover in the process!

I’ve got lots and lots of other stuff I’m thinking about. Just can’t find the time right now. Be patient, my babies.

5 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boston's first album is totally classic. It's completely cheesy and awesome. I love it.

I love that you are exploring the "canon" of pop music (and beyond).

I have really been in to Steely Dan lately. The playing and production is impeccable and the material is, more often than not, extremely melodic with a unique mix of pop sentiment with complex harmony and rhythm. love em.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Steely Dan is another one of those bands that I haven't gotten to yet.

I know two things about them:
1) Studio engineers love their production values
2) Steve Kelley is an uberfan.

Where do I start with Steely Dan?

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that perhaps Pretzel Logic is the best album to begin with. it's pretty all around fantastic as a pop record. It's very "song"-y, leading off with their hit "Rikki, Don't Lose That Number". The next 4 or 5 songs are really great. I've been using "Any Major Dude Will Tell You" as a mixing reference with my current record. Steely Dan is tough to emulate though!


I think you'll really like Aja as well. it's more jazzy and some of the tunes are 6-7 minutes with extended instrumentals in the middle sections.

yeah, Steve is definitely an uberfan. he'd probably recommend Pretzel Logic as well.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I am a bit lacking in my prog rock knowledge. I have the Yes boxed set and a weirdo record I like called Music in a Doll's House by Family and some Zappa. Any recommendations? You know i'm not afraid of "musical puzzles"

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I had never heard of that Family record before. Apparently produced by one of the guys from Traffic.

If you've heard Yes and Zappa, my two other faves of the prog rock genre are Genesis and King Crimson.

Genesis--the early stuff is so cool! Some of my favorite albums: _Nursery Cryme_, _Foxtrot_, and _Wind & Wuthering_. _Selling England By the Pound_ is also pretty well-regarded. I think you'd really dig the layered acoustic guitars and twelve strings.

King Crimson--_In the Court of the Crimson King_ is the album that started it all. It's pretty much the epitome of early prog. I also like the albums _Discipline_, _Beat_ and _Three of a Perfect Pair_ from the eighties. Their 80s output is more of a prog-pop hybrid, very influenced by minimalism. It's some of my favorite stuff from them.

Speaking of 80s prog--let us not forget the two classic Rush albums _Moving Pictures_ and _Permanent Waves_

This just scratches the surface of the wonderful world of prog rock, but these are the bands of my expertise.

Good luck on these. Let me know what you find!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home