Friday, August 22, 2008

Whatcha' Readin'?

Just this week I got done reading one of the few American literary epics: Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass. If I understand correctly, this mammoth book is a compilation of Whitman’s poetic output throughout his entire life. It was self-published. Let that thought sink in a bit. Think of the sheer force of individual will (and perhaps narcissism) this, (not to mention the extended poem “Song of Myself”) belies. After all, there is a lot of material contained in this book!

I remember from my days as an English major that the “individual” is THE theme for American Lit. And of course, this Whitman fellow portrayed it in spades, both in his personal life and in his creative output.

Also, writing during the Civil War, he has some very appropriate things to say about war and conflict that we Americans can, sadly, always stand to hear.

But I came to find quite a few other things to appreciate in this book other than “I Am Poet, I Am America.” So, over the next week or so you can look forward to the handful of poems that resounded with me. Hope you like ‘em too.

Here's one (Sorry, I just realized it'll be well-nigh impossible to duplicate Whitman's original line breaks):

WHEN I PERUSE THE CONQUERED FAME

When I peruse the conquer’d fame of heroes, and the victories of mighty generals, I do not envy the generals,
Nor the President in his Presidency, nor the rich in his great house;
But when I hear of the brotherhood of lovers, how it was with them,
How together through life, through dangers, odium, unchanging, long and long,
Through youth, and through middle and old age, how unfaltering, how affectionate and faithful they were,
Then I am pensive—I hastily walk away, fill’d with the bitterest envy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home