Thursday, May 10, 2007

"Going Home" for My Brother's Wedding- Interlude: A Mild Tangent About My Family's Religiosity

Both my dad and my oldest brother made comments about being struck by lightning or the building falling as they walked into the church for the first time. My family never talked about religious things as I was growing up. We’re polite.

All are welcome in the home of God,” I said, somewhat sarcastically. (I love talking in elevated language for humorous effect.) It wasn’t received sarcastically, but rather in silence, as if that was an idea to ponder.

You know that joke that goes- “Every family has a black sheep. If you can’t think of the black sheep of your family, you’re it?” I got to thinking how I’m seen as some kind of Christian or ambassador of God or of church or something, as my parents asked me to be the official pray-er at the rehearsal dinner-an idea which, I’ll be honest, worried me for two days. I don’t talk to God that much, especially vocally and the idea of doing it in front of strangers and being expected to say “just the right thing,” well that’s a lot of pressure, man.

“Why can’t the priest do it? He’s a professional,” I said to no avail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home