Thursday, November 29, 2007

Whatcha' Listenin' To?

Lots and lots of new things entering my ears, being digested by my noggin and defecated with pen as of late.

Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet
This is one of those “Best of All Time” albums. It’s got two hits on it: “Sympathy for the Devil” and “Street Fighting Man” and an awful lot of sloppy acoustic-ness. I’ve talked about the “Beatles vs. Rolling Stones” thing to death so I’m not going there.

I can understand why this album has such a high reputation. Some albums seem to just capture a “vibe.” You hear a group of songs and they all just seem to “fit.” This would be that kind of collection. Now I’m not saying I’m crazy about this music. But I think I at least “get it.”

***Something is happening to me, dear readers. I’m feeling a need to use quotation marks a lot these days to hide vague language. This is a most unwelcome trend. Or “is it?”***

Michael Jackson Thriller
This one also shows up on “Best of All Time” lists, and for good reason. It is as if these songs were the audio equivalent to Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, but instead of being a fighting machine they are genetically-engineered to either make you want to dance, make love to that special someone or at least have songs stuck in your head. This is music for the masses but I am totally in awe of the sheen of the production values. It’s obvious that these songs didn’t start out as much, maybe a melody and an idea of a drumbeat, but it’s what Michael, and probably more importantly, what Quincy Jones did with those fundamental elements that make for intriguing listening.

I will admit it right now. “The Girl is Mine,” with Paul McCartney makes me feel warm all over. I’m the one. I’m the one guy who will dare to say that. It’s all right for the SUV-driving, radio-listening soccer-moms who don’t really obsess over music to say that, but surely not me--Mr. Music Head analyst? But oh, well. It’s out there.

And for the record, listen to the details of “Human Nature,” the delay on the guitar, that cascading vocal line on the choruses and tell me that is not the example of 80’s production gone right.

I have gone all these almost thirty-one years without realizing what the song “Billie Jean” is about. Turns out it’s the story of a guy accused of being a father. Duh! I always thought it was just overplayed commercial tripe. But then I listened to it. Once you do that it’s all over. It’s infectious. Now I hear what the big deal is. Sexy, sexy song.

Funny that I didn’t get as excited about my hero Eddie Van Halen playing the solo to “Beat It” when I was a kid. Of course, it wasn’t until several years later that I found out that the most awesome guitar player in the world took time out from playing in the most awesome rock band in the world to play on some weird rap guys’ song. Awesome!

Randy Newman Best Of
He’s known most recently for expressing the theme of animated films, (listen to “You’ve Got a Friend in Me”), but this guy has been pretty caustic in the past. Listen to “Rednecks,” “Political Science” or “It’s Money That I Love.” I’ve also got a theory that the intro to “I Love L.A.” is a response to Billy Joel’s “New York State of Mind.”

I’ve heard a few other songs of his and I gotta say--something about the way this guy strings words together makes my ears perk up.

Sugarloaf Best Of
There is one really outstanding reason to listen to this record. It is the album version of “Green-Eyed Lady,” which is about twice the length of the radio single and has all manner of weird instrumental sounds that complement an already psychedelic song. The rest of the songs pale in comparison, being largely unremarkable but I will say there is some fine Hammond organ work scattered throughout this collection.

I think that should suffice for now. I’m reading a challenging book that I’ll write about in a little bit…

4 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a HUGE Randy Newman fan. Many people don't like him because of his Pixar/Disney etc. songs of late, but actually the REAL reason they don't like him is because of his voice and singing style. Fair enough. I love his singing, but it is an acquired taste for most folks! But I have a challenge for anyone who claims to dislike Randy Newman. Get a copy of the album "Nillson Sings Newman." It is Harry Nillson singing Newman's songs while Randy plays piano. Definitely in my top 10 albums ever. Then if you recognize his songs as the superb vignettes that they are, move into the wonderful album "Good Old Boys", his concept album about the south. Then move into "Sail Away". from there you're on your own.

Seriously, as a songwriter he's TOP notch. Even his Toy Story songs are pretty damn good if you listen past his singing. He has the technique of a Tin Pan Alley craftsman with an acerbic wit that is completely unique. I mean, come on, the song "Sail Away" is all about how great America is and then you realize that the character he's singing as is a slave trader trying to convince Africans to come aboard his ship.

whew.

-Steven

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Thanks, Steven for the guidance.

I'm definitely going to check out more of his stuff!

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog!

So I"m gonna have to check out that Steve Reich book you list on your profile. His piece Tehillim is one of my favorites. -Steven

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I also sent this to your email...


Steve Reich rocked my musical world like only a handful of other musicians when I was in college. "Violin Phase" was the first thing I heard from him and I've been hooked ever since. His essay "Music as a Gradual Process" in that book _Writings on Music_ might as well be holy scripture!

Some of my faves from him: "Drumming," "Music for 18 Musicians," "Piano Phase" "Four Organs…"

But I find something to love in just about everything I've heard from him. Your favorite, "Tehillim," is a very impressive piece as well. Some time we'll have to talk about the two or three phases of his output, because he has changed aesthetics a little bit over the years, which _Writings on Music_ makes very clear.

Here's how much of a fanboy I am. I actually wrote him a letter about a year ago, (just like a young Frank Zappa wrote a letter to Edgard Varese.) Never heard from him though! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home