Thursday, March 23, 2006

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: Scent of a Woman (1992)

A Random CD Review from the Stutzman Memorial Library

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack to Scent of a Woman by Thomas Newman (1992)

I haven’t listened to this album in probably four or five years, so I’m not really familiar with it. But that’s the beauty of the randomizer, isn’t it?

This is one of a few CDs that my dad bought when I was much younger that somehow, by some mysterious levitating force, found their way into my collection of CDs. My dad is probably one of the main sources of my raging musical eclecticism. I remember when I was in high school, trying to ignore such popular music tripe like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Cypress Hill, my dad went through a Guns n’ Roses phase. This from a man who kept the radio frozen on the country music station and who would go on to be an NPR and Garrison Keillor junkie.

Well, anyway, this is one of those odd CDs that my dad bought and the only things I really remember about the music contained therein involves orchestration. The primary palette of colors that Newman uses includes dulcimer, synthesized bass, and orchestra. It’s an odd artistic decision, but it’s at least interesting. I remember thinking at the time that it was a real no-no to mix electric instruments with those of the orchestra. And there is a great tango in the middle of it all, which is probably the reason my dad bought it.

As for the movie itself, I’ll always remember my parents telling me about seeing this Scent of a Woman movie and Chris O’Donnell’s character reminding them of me—always trying to do the right thing. That was a rare moment of knowing exactly how I looked in ma and pa’s eyes. Do you guys ever wonder that? How other people really see you?

That’s all for today. Hopefully next time the randomizer will pick something I’m a little more familiar with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home