Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Whatcha' Readin'? (Slight Return)

This weekend I got done reading a very interesting book and I would recommend it to anyone who is close to my age. The book is called Urban Tribes by Ethan Watters. In it, he discusses the phenomenon of the “marriage delay” among a certain generation, and how “never-been-marrieds” have socialized themselves into interesting groups, separate from traditional “family” structures. While there is quite a bit of sociology in this book, Watters definitely writes as a concerned participant. It’s half sociology, half memoir of a thirty-something single man. Humorous at points and never boring or detached, I highly recommend this book as a quick read and I know it’s available at our local library. (I was a little distracted by a slew of typos, however.)

Next on my list-I shall attempt to conquer Cervantes’ Don Quixote. I will probably be reading this book for a couple months. It might be the longest book I’ve ever even started to read.

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading Letters to a teacher by Sam Pickering, Nick Hornby's essays from the Believer, Joseph Campbell essays, and some Tom Wolfe essays. (I have been into the essays lately.):)

Cervates is great. Long....but great.:) I read it several years ago.
this is sweet t btw.:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home