Friday, February 03, 2006

Great Road Trips I Have Known-Episode 1:The Phantom Menace

It was my first junior year in college. I say that because I guess I had two junior years. It was also my first year at UCO. For spring break I decided to go visit my brother and his family, (including a new little girl), in Savannah. For some reason, I decided to invite my pal Steve.

He is one of the more interesting people I’ve met. Some people peg him as an asshole. He’s a nitpicker. A squabbler. He’s abrasive most of the time. He doesn’t allow you any pleasure over your achievements. He’s got a bit of a foul mouth. He’s also very smart.

I’ve known the guy since I was in fifth grade. The first time I met him, we were in the championship of the connect-four tournament held during recess on a rainy day. I’m sure he beat me. He’s much smarter than I am. Plus, I’m not good under pressure.

In seventh grade, we used to walk around the halls of the junior high before first period. He would recite the presidents in order, as I would mosey along, trying to look like we weren’t friends. But we really needed each other back then. I think we were secretly fearful of people and ourselves. That’s why we were always walking around: to keep from having to face other kids. There’s something about being in motion that makes your existence legitimate.

Anyway, who better to be a traveling companion? A guy I’d shared the pain of growing up with. A guy who knew my fears because he knew them as his.

He also would pay for half of the gas.

One novel idea we had on this trip was “drive straight through.” Taking shifts, one would sleep while the other drove. Only rich people stayed in motels. (I have since made the drive from Savannah back to Oklahoma City in one looooong day of driving. With the flu. So, it wasn’t that crazy of an idea to “drive straight through.”)

So, what makes this a “Great Road Trip I Have Known?” It’s pretty simple. I thought I was in love. I had her picture right next to the speedometer and I probably could have flown to Savannah like Superman. I was smitten. I remember harassing Steve with all manner of Romantic, poetic flights of fancy for approximately 90% of the time in the car. So, this probably doesn’t go down as one of his “great road trips he has known.” I don’t know how to describe my state of mind other than to say that all sensations and thoughts were strengthened. It’s a drug, I guess. Turns out I was just in love with the idea of being in love and it would all come crumbling down around me upon my return.

But man! Hearing Radiohead’s OK Computer for the first time while traveling 80 miles an hour with hundreds of miles of concrete ahead and the possibility it represents, or dozing off to the sound of Steely Dan at 3 in the morning in black-as-night Alabama back roads. Rejoicing on finally finding the right highway sign to 10 seconds later find yourself in a strip mall parking lot…these are memories that I don’t have to try to create.

And at the beach, our true natures were revealed. I needed to sit and lean against a huge piece of driftwood and listen and be still and watch. Steve needed to walk around. To move. To do something. These are the two fundamental, philosophical essences of each of us.

I know he probably will never read this, so I can say that even though his abrasiveness sometimes embarrasses me when he comes into contact with sweet people minding their own business; I love Steve, (not in that way), and I thank God every time I pray, for him and the others in the cast of characters, (some would say “rogue’s gallery”), that He has placed in my path.

Hell, I will say that even if he does read this.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Buenoman said...

I've been there.....thinking I was "in love" while on a road trip, only to come back and have it blow up in my face.

"King of Pain" by The Police is what I associate with my experience. And I don't believe I was in love. I was just excited about the prospects of the possibility of love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home