Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Electrical Nerdville Part II

Well, I didn’t fry my brain or any other organs last night while biasing my amp. But there is a somewhat interesting twist to the story…

So, I was all set up--the back of the amp removed, tubes glowing red, the only thing I had left to do was measure the voltage hitting the tubes and adjust the bias accordingly. Wouldn’t you know it, my brand new multimeter didn’t work. So I just plugged my guitar in and adjusted the bias by ear, listening for early distortion or lifeless sound.

Checked it with a new multimeter this morning—I was right on! Perfectly within specs. (Actually 4mV lower than I wanted to be, which is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.)

Now I know I’m a nerd.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I don't know what a V4M is. I do have a friend that can listen to a beat, and then keep perfect rythmn. I can pee with out hitting the seat. I find that to be a great accomplishment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home