Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Electrical Nerdville














Sorry if you’re a regular reader and you’ve been disappointed in the lack of new stuff to read here. But I’ve been unexpectedly busy up here at work as of late.

Tonight I’ve prepared to enter into total nerdville as I attempt to bias my tube guitar amp. With digital multimeter in hand, (that’s the really nerdy part), I will expose myself to potentially dangerous levels of electrical current as I open up my amp and tweak stuff.

So, if you haven’t heard from me in a couple weeks and/or there’s a funnier smell than usual coming from my house, then you’ll at least know that I died while performing an interesting project…

For those not in the know, tube guitar amps are fairly universally acknowledged as having better tone than their solid-state brethren. (The difference being that tube amps basically have light bulbs incorporated into the electrical guts.) Only problem is that tubes go bad over time. Since this is my first tube amp and I’ve never had to change tubes before, I’ve researched up on biasing the amp after changing tubes and I figured I would save myself some money.

Hopefully I won’t fry my brain tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home