Thursday, August 10, 2006

In the Way of the Musical Revolution

You know, my babies…I dig music. I don’t think that’s any secret. But I was reading this article about a 40-something’s interpretation of the Top 40 Music chart and I got to thinking about my tastes. I can’t say I’ve heard a single song or artist he names in the article, (other than Soft Cell.) For someone who loves music as much as I think I do, I was reminded how un-“with-it” I am with modern music.

Now, I’ve never found much interest in what’s “on the charts.” The Top 40 doesn’t really mean anything to me. But I’m kind of stuck, musically, right now. Not too long ago, I stopped reading uber-hipster music reviews on Pitchfork Media because they were irrelevant to me. But at the other end of the spectrum, the supposed “music of the masses” chronicled by the Top 40…it’s irrelevant to me as well.

I’m so uncool and old these days. The only dinosaurs less in touch than I am, are Grandmothers listening to their records and eight-tracks. Popular music is passing me by. It just seems like a string of flavors-of-the-day, solo “Artists,” (more like opportunists if you ask me), with no history and most likely no future. Although, that assumption isn’t based on empirical evidence. Like I said, I’ve never heard any of it. It just seems way too hard to keep track. The next big thing is long forgotten before I have a chance to hear it.

I’m old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home