Friday, May 19, 2006

Whatcha Readin'?

I’m still in the throes of Heidegger, but I also just finished a great book called Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Beatles, by Geoff Emerick, who was the recording engineer for all of the Beatles’ singles and albums except for some of the White Album and Let It Be. Needless to say, he has some great stories to tell, some of which I’ve never heard before. And he shows a different side of the band as individuals, both flawed and brilliant, that is shocking at times.

And he also goes into some technical detail in revealing the studio trickery that he used in achieving certain sounds and reveals some of the compositional process for some of the more complicated moments on the middle and later albums.

All in all, a very interesting read and I recommend it for anyone who cares about the Beatles or their music.

2 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, I read the book too and I agree with your opinion of it. It's a great read!

One thing you said which is wrong, though. Emerick was their engineer only from 1966 on, although he was the assistant engineer on a lot of their early sessions. Before then, their regular engineer was Norman Smith, who went on to produce Pink Floyd.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Anonymous is right.

I stand corrected. Emerick was ASSISTANT engineer at first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home