Monday, November 28, 2005

That's Baby-Makin' Music, That's What That Is

Thus far, I have dealt with my musical past in a roughly chronological fashion. However, watching a Saturday Night Live re-run this weekend reminded me of one of the most important parts of the soundtrack of my childhood-Paul Simon’s Graceland. Many was the Sunday afternoon my parents would go for a drive in their white ’84 Thunderbird with me in the back seat, pacified by the sound of Paul Simon’s free-wheeling wordplay and Ladysmith Black Mambazo’s traditional African singing. I can still smell that new-car gray upholstery whenever I hear songs like “Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes,” or “You Can Call Me Al.”

Little did I realize at the time how revolutionary of an idea was behind Graceland. Paul Simon was known as an acoustic guitar folkster and for this album he assembled all kinds of African musicians as well as a few American session musicians like the Everly Brothers and former Zappa sideman Adrian Belew and created a wonderfully joyous and interesting mix of styles. Like I said, I never realized that when I was a kid. I just thought it all sounded “happy.”

If I ever have a child, it will be required listening for little Immanuel Stutzman as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home