Monday, October 24, 2005

A Musician

All right. As anybody who is actually reading this most likely knows, I am a musician. I play guitar in a crazy rock and roll band that sounds like a cross between They Might Be Giants and oh, I don't know, Queen? David Bowie? Alice Cooper? Who the hell knows? That's always the toughest question: "What kind of music do you play?"
Why don't you just go to the web-site and decide for yourself: www.grandpagriffith.com. We're getting desperately close to that second album coming out and I can't wait for people to hear it.

I was telling a friend yesterday that the image I get of the band up to this point is that of a funnel, funell, funnell, (however you write that) that we just pour money into. But it's a lot of fun regardless.

So, I was thinking a sort of musical biography would be a good way to produce some material for this here blog. You know, "what are the albums that have caught hold of you over the years?" (And there's a lot of them for me.)

I really do believe that, for musicians at least, the music we discover and listen to can affect us in pretty powerful ways. And I'm not just talking about dancing to the Grateful Dead's _American Beauty_ with windswept abandon. I'm talking about the basics of our assumptions of what art is and isn't and how those assumptions can be affirmed and challenged upon exposure to new stuff.

And I think it would be awesome for you guys to do likewise and tell me what has rocked your world in the past-not just music, but books and movies and ideas, too.

So, let me get my thoughts together and I'll be back with one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home