Monday, October 24, 2005

Who IS That Mysterious Masked Man?

I'm going to get the preliminaries out of the way. I work a desk job. It's pretty low-pressure. The bulk of my job description is to answer the phone and schedule old ladies for mamograms. Yes, I get tired of talking to women about their breasts.

But not as tired as I get around three o'clock every day. That's when my lunch usually hits me and I really need a nap.

The bulk of my job is to talk to people on the phone about stuff I really don't care about. This is all not meant to complain. This is an easy job that pays the bills and I very rarely ever think about work when I'm not here in the building.

But I'm very intentional in calling what I do from 10:30-7 a job. Not a career. (I have a feeling this is going to be an issue in future posts.)

But let's get into some specifics about this job, after all, I've got some cyber-space to fill:

I can count on being called "ma'am" on the phone at least once a day. Which is sort of amusing since I have the voice of God.

I hear the non-word "mammiogram" at least twice daily and about every other day I get asked to schedule a monogram. When you talk to people on the phone regularly, you just sort of give up on REALLY listening and correcting and just get the call done as quickly as possible.

When I'm not talking on the phone I'm usually reading stuff on the internet or writing. It's too frustrating to try to read an actual book in the middle of the day. Too many interruptions.

1 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger DelorumRex said...

http://delorumrex1.blogspot.com/
Okay Ma'am may I skedulee' a manogram?

Dude at least your talking about breasts.. I talk about breasts and then have to go to a sensitivity training course…. At least in your job there is an endless stream of one liners.. try plastics development and engineering on for boredom level.. sure it’s all fun and games when you link and extra nitrogen to your carbon.. but that can only last for so long, in this endless chain monomer we call life.. oy vey.. give me a boob any day.

At least in your work when the 3:00 nap time comes around you have an endless supply of mommy pillows.. (see what I mean the potential there is endless!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home