Monday, December 04, 2006

Fables of the Reconstruction by REM (1985)

A Random CD Review from the Stutzman Memorial Archive
Fables of the Reconstruction by REM (1985)

My faithful Excel spreadsheet spit out random # 484 today, which corresponds to REM’s Fables of the Reconstruction. This is certainly not one of my favorite albums.

Consider this: due to the surreal artwork, I’m still not sure if the title is Fables of the Reconstruction or Reconstruction of the Fables. This fundamental misunderstanding is pretty much representative of my appreciation, (or lack thereof), of the album as a whole. For one thing, I have absolutely no clue what any of the songs are about. Now, even though I can say that about pretty much every REM song and even though ambiguous lyrical content doesn’t necessarily preclude my enjoyment of songs, there comes a point where something’s gotta give. The overall vibe of this album is kind of odd. To call the anemic and angular “Feeling Gravity’s Pull” guitar figure that starts the album a “riff” would be too kind, but for me, it serves as the marker of the subdued production throughout this disc.

Typically, when lyrics fail to catch my attention, (which is about 95% of the time), I can usually fall back on the purely musical content. But on this album, I’m not exactly sure what either department is trying to do. Obscure lyrics, obscure music. “Driver 8” is probably the most well-known song, which I understand is some kind of college radio landmark. It’s got a nice enough riff, memorable some two or three years since I last heard it and there are some nice electric twelve-string jangles on “Green Grow the Rushes,” foreshadowing the REM to come a few years into the future. Other than the album closer “Wendell Gee,” I can’t really remember much else from this album, other than some white boy funk and dark production.

All that said, this reminds me of a curious phenomenon—the album that, no matter how often you play it, you never seem to get to “know.” I’ve owned this disc since it was given to me by a friend in high school more than ten years ago. I’ve probably heard it all the way through about 35 times, which really isn’t a lot for my listening habits. And I think there’s something to be said for music that you seem to “discover” anew with every listening. However, this particular album has a tendency to fade to the background with me every time. And I realize that there are some instances when that’s what you want-- audible wallpaper. But that’s not the case for me most of the time.
Anyway, REM’s a weird band and this is one of the weirdest albums I’ve heard from them.

2 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Buenoman said...

You summed it up for me, too. I usually don't play this album too often. It's a "springtime" album, perfect for April as that's when I discovered it, but it's sort of depressing. Don't ask me why. I probably like it a little better than you do, but does it sound like the record was just sort of "thrown together" at the last minute?

Your comment about not getting to know this album is right on the money. It's part of the one-third fraction of my CD collection that just doesn't seem to have much longevity to it. Admittedly, longevity for me has a lot to do with how an album resonates with me emotionally, which isn't an indicator of the music's quality alone.

I have to say that on the rare instance when I pull this one out, I go straight to "Life and How to Live It." But the whole thing just sounds like the band just got together one day and decided to jam in the garage. It's not particularly compelling, which now that I'm out of my REM phase, can be said for much of their music. I enjoy it, but it doesn't touch me. (Of course, "Automatic for the People" and "Up" actually do get to me. The former is a Greatest Album Ever contender, but I don't have any real reason for the latter).

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Mike said...

As is often the case with these "Randomizer" reviews, I'm going to pull this disc off the shelf and give it a serious listen in the next day or so.

Who knows, maybe this will be the time that I actually "get it."

Possible update to follow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home